There were a lot of kids around today for middle school orientation. It was thrilling to finally have them in the building, if only for quick tours and a Q & A session with the principal. Some of them are new to the school and the country (one girl landed three days ago). All of them are new to the middle school. There was a lot of sizing up on all sides.
My first impression of my new population of students (middle class world travelers, ethnically and culturally diverse) was that kids are kids. They are shy at first. Some make sweet, awkward comments. Some refuse to speak or look you in the eye. All are polite and demure upon first introduction. The French teachers who share my room, Madame F and Madame L, were aflutter with welcome (in French, bien sur). This reduced most kids to helpless giggles, except the kid from Montreal who busted out with a charming little speech about his summer vacation. Madame F (Quebecoise with a vengeance) was delighted. The other kids looked a little agog, as kids do, even middle class world traveling ones.
The new kids were toured around by hand-picked 8th graders called PALs (peers as leaders). And while it's true that kids are kids--the kids here are smaller. Much smaller. Maybe they shrink in the plane on the way over. I don't know. My first faux pas was mistaking an 8th grade boy for a new 6th grader. I felt bad until my partner teacher, Aussie (guess where she's from?) made the same mistake. In fact, I've been mistaking 8th graders for 6th graders all day, but keeping my mouth shut about it. The 6th graders, unsurprisingly, look like very petit 5th graders. I was worried about fitting them around the tables. Now I'm wondering if anyone will need a booster seat.
School starts for real on Tuesday, August 19. Send good thoughts...
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment