Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First day!

Let me begin by saying that I did not ruin any copiers today.

Let me continue by saying that I'm now the teacher in 6th grade who is known for assigning "real" homework on the first day of school. I think the direct quote (as reported to me by the music teacher) was, "Ms. Roberson went ahead and assigned us homework tonight. Not half homework like some teachers, but real homework."

Thank you very much.

I may be stressing the kids, but I have never been as calm after the first day of school as I am now. The day went well--but more than that--it was mellow. In fact, it was so mellow it couldn't have gone badly. Does this make sense? There was nothing I could possibly have done (within the realm of normalcy) that would have resulted in chaos, mass disrespect, bullying, violence, craziness or anything else teachers fear regardless of how many times they've walked into a classroom. I have taught many classes that have gone well (as anyone still teaching after seven years can say). I have never taught a class in which I almost didn't have to be in the room.

True, it was the first day (and, true, I did not leave the room, nor consider it). BUT, as someone who has helped build a school from the ground up, I've been racking my brain for reasons why such a profound sense of comfort and at-homeness seems to permeate this school building. It had nothing to do with orientation. In preparing for this year, we teachers had the kind of discussions all teachers have: classroom norms, parent communication, what to do about late work, will kids be allowed to go back to their lockers after lunch, etc. etc. We didn't talk about school culture. We didn't talk about how to make kids feel at home. They arrived on the scene this morning and just did. It was impossible for me to distinguish between the kids who were brand new (about five in each class) and the kids who had been at the school for years.

The only thing I can think of is also the only substantial difference between my current students and my former students. None of my kids were angry this morning. Some were silly. Some were shy. Some wanted to make sure everyone knew how smart they are. Some read well. Some needed help sounding out words. Some spoke with accents (Dutch, Arabic, German, Texan, just to name a few). But none were angry. My former students had plenty of reasons to be angry, most completely out of their control (which is enough in itself to make anyone mad). These students don't. Or, if they do, I didn't see it today. Maybe kids who feel safe and comfortable walking into the gate bring that feeling with them to class. Maybe we didn't have to talk about creating that sense in the kids because it exists already, thanks to their privilege and life circumstances.

These are first day thoughts. I don't know if this theory is correct or how it will develop as the year goes on. If you have any comments/theories or ideas, please feel free to post them here!

3 comments:

Mr. Cherng F Baby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Cherng F Baby said...

Yay Roberson! They have seriously no idea how lucky they are to have you.

Things SF side are great...the new 8th graders are so very loveable and I'm not intimidated (ok, scared witless) like I was last year. Somehow these kids seem younger and cuter...at least the MIT kids :P.

Much love,
Cherng

Emily Van Ark said...

The deleted comment might have been me... I started to write a comment about how maybe growing up with a more privileged background just makes you more likely to assume that you'll be comfortable wherever you go, and then I decided I was unlikely to word it well and gave up...

But I didn't think I published it, so I would have thought that backing out wouldn't have registered as deleting.

Anyway, glad you had a such a mellow first day. :)