Monday, August 11, 2008

Little by little

Classroom update: the desks and chairs have appeared! The pile of locker shelves has diminished! The maintenance crew leader--I'll call him the Magician--came in while I was clapping my hands with glee and promised the white board would be next. I gave him a huge mental hug, knowing that to actually hug him would be a cultural no-no. But, best of all, I believed him because of the desks, chairs and shelves--and because I'm becoming the zen master of letting go. But mostly because of the desks and chairs.

Classroom pics soon!

Computer update: still nobly waiting until Tuesday.

Apartment update: Still empty except for those two little Ikea chairs. The magic couch and foldy table still scheduled to arrive Sept. 3 (the day after Ramadan starts! Eeek! I've been assured absolutely nothing gets done for an entire lunar month! But, because I'm a zen master at letting go, this hardly worries me at all. Not.) I can always eat at K's. She got her diningroom table and chairs today--beautiful wood with stylized carvings along the edge of the table and down the middle of the four matching chairs. Not from Ikea, needless to say.

There is this French expression: petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid. Literally, it means little by little the bird builds his nest. But the best English translation is slowly but surely or one step at a time. I like the French version because of the nesting connotations and because there are so many different timelines out there. And yet, slowly but surely, things will get done.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Feather that nest already! You got company comin'!