No, this is not a pre-Easter post...I'm really going to Jordan tomorrow with K (and half the staff and students of the school. It would be weird--and way out of context-- to call Jordan the Myrtle Beach of the Middle East, but you get the idea in terms of numbers of people flying there this week from Abu Dhabi...).
Majestic Petra, a camel trek through desert valleys followed by a night camping, an Arabic food cooking class, the historic baptism site and the Roman ruins of Jerash and the Kings Highway are high on the agenda. Yes, we are also going to the Dead Sea, but I'm not committing to taking the classic floating-while-reading-a-newspaper photo. From all reports, even a brief swim is painful, exposing cuts you never knew you had. The expression "don't pour salt in a wound" exists for a reason. My RET colleague (stands for Republican, evangelical Texan), who always looks, well, R, E and T, actually recommended not shaving one's legs within a week of a dip. The profound rarity of this advice (given the source) is a huge indicator of the discomfort involved. I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't shave my legs in the first place.
Regardless of whether we test the buoyancy of the Dead Sea or give it a miss, it should be a fabulous trip. Stay tuned for pictures and a full report...
8 years ago
4 comments:
Have fun in Jordan! I can't wait to see pictures and hear about the trip!
I have always wanted to float in the dead sea- that is before I floated in the Great Salt Lake in Utah. I don't remember stinging cuts, but smelly smelly and lots of dead animal carcasses floating around and stuck in the sand under the shallow tide. My skin was white when I got out and I felt REALLY dirty. Now do you want to swim?
YEARNING for those pictures of you in Petra! Will keeping checking in. So will this be your Holy Week? How rich and exciting!
What a delightful Easter card, to wake up and read your Jordan travelogue! Can't wait to read the rest!
Christos aneste!
Post a Comment