Sunday, April 26, 2009

The world on the beach

I've probably mentioned this before, but I have to say it again: the UAE is wildly diverse. It's one of the coolest things about living here. People come here from all over the globe and mingle with remarkable mellowness. This fact is always brought home whenever I find myself in a large public place, as I did this weekend during the World of Music festival, a renowned outdoor concert event held for the first time this weekend in Abu Dhabi.

World of Music is your typical open-air event, held on the beach. There were two stages, an enormous sound system, a flotilla of Port-A-Potty trailers, food stands, activities for the kids and clutches of guys selling everything on the market that lights up or glows in the dark. The concert was free and attended by expats and Emeratis from every walk of life. There were whole Indian families, Gulf Arabs in abeyas and dishdashas, North Africans (who dominated the musical acts) waving flags and proudly representing, Europeans soaking up the vibes on beach blankets, kids of every possible stripe running in every possible direction. The Corniche (which bordered the event) held even more diversity, but, unfortunately, diversity doesn't always equal tolerance. There seemed to be a concerted (no pun intended) effort to keep out single Pakistani guys, for reasons I couldn't fathom. These guys clustered at the entrance in a group of about 30-40. Every once in awhile a detatchment would break away and attempt to enter the venue in a group of three or four. The plainclothes security guard always seemed to know when this was happening and would herd them back into the larger pack. Usually, it costs 5 dhs to get on the beach (about $1.75). This was instituted when the beach first opened to keep this exact demographic off the sand. They reportedly would harass women in swimwear, regardless of how modest. (By 'harass' I mean ogle, not scold or preach to.) Since the concert was free--and the admission fee suspended, the security was apparently charged with keeping the status quo intact, though no one was wearing a bathing suit.

K and I attended and saw an Indian band drum its heart out to an appreciative crowd. They were good and thrilled out of their minds to be there. There's really nothing not to love about world music--so much talent, enthusiasm and global spirit in one place. There's really nothing not to love about a large public space in Abu Dhabi where the whole world gathers to chill (or rush the gate).

No comments: