This week I joined the cast of The Music Man, produced by one of the local expat chorus groups (I haven't figured out which). We open at the end of May at a location to be determined (but probably either the British school or another accessible auditorium). I will make my Arabian stage debut as Townsperson #5. I was too late to nab a solo in "Wells Fargo Wagon," but came in time to be cast as one of River City, Iowa's teenagers (no short jokes, please). My stage buddy is an actual teenager named Reena, who goes to one of the international schools in town. We have to link arms and march gleefully behind Professor Harold Hill during "76 Trombones." Our stage position in "Shipoopi" is also prime.Ocanada (my teaching partner) got me into this. She joined up early enough to have a solo in "Wells Fargo Wagon" and has been listening the to The Music Man CD before school every morning. I was Child #4 in the Carpinteria High School performance of 1984 and still (oddly) remember every word to every song. There seemed no reason not to sign up here in Abu Dhabi and resume much the same role I had so many years ago.
The high school drama teacher at my school is playing Professor Hill and the mother of one of my advisees is Marian (the female lead). For those of you not privileged to have every note of this American theater classic burned into your brains, the Music Man follows the exploits of 'Professor' Harold Hill, a con man who dupes Midwestern towns into investing in boys bands and then runs away with the dough. He meets his match in the citizens of River City, Iowa, especially its brainy librarian, her adorable little brother with a speech impediment, a barbershop quartet and a bevy of gossiping, gingham-clad matrons. What's not to love? One of the songs is about the evils of billiards. Another is based on the claim that all Iowans are stubborn, testy and socially awkward. Yet another, as I have mentioned, is entitled "Shipoopi," which is never actually defined, but I believe can be used as a synonym for sweetheart. The whole thing opens (rather brilliantly) with a group of salesmen talking in the rhythm of a train steaming its way across the plains.
I'm looking forward to learning all my stage moves and refining, in the time-honored musical theater tradition, the act of pretending to talk enthusiastically to my fellow townspeople or pantomiming excitement, glee or dismay. Last night at rehearsal, I was measured for my costume. Apparently, given my stage age, a pinafore will be involved. Stay tuned...
6 comments:
Yes, every note (and every silly dance step) is well-burned into my brain after my run as Tommy Djilas in The Aerospace Players production 10 years ago.
Fortunately, you probably make a more convincing teenager now than I did in my mid-20s. Heck, the 90210 kids pulled it off well into their 30s.
Hehe, our cast was short enough on extras that I got to double as the conductor and got the first line of the play--"River city junction, river city next station stop"
And I got to sing solo as conductor--one word in the Rock Island number.
That rocks! I wish I was there to see it... but I am guessing I can't just "fly" in for the weekend for the show.
I cannot wait for photos! Can't someone in the techie world there video the whole thing???? woo hoo for River City! I can join you in singing all the words to all the songs...
"A POOL table, don't you understand? Friends, either you are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge or you are unaware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a pool table in your community. Friends, you've got trouble..."
Long before I was the stage mother to Child #4, I was a Music Man fan of major proportions. So, Townsperson #5, break a leg!
How fun!!! My favorite line has to be: "Oh what the heck, you're welcome, join us at our picnic! You can have the fill of all the food you bring yourself. You really ought to give Iowa a try...:)" I'd love to see the video of you if someone does it!
Post a Comment