Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ramadan phenomenon: no sipping allowed

People really and truly do not eat in public during Ramadan. In fact, the penalties are severe and include possible arrest. At school, it's amazing how quickly everyone has made the transition.

Kids, being kids, used to leave their plastic water bottles all over the classroom. After school, I'd inevitably corral some blameless child to recycle the 3-4 bottles on the tables--or end up doing it myself. Day #2 of Ramadan, there is not a water bottle in sight. Which is perfectly appropriate--and remarkably responsible for 11 year olds. K and I went to soda machine today and brought a plastic bag along so we could transport the cans anonymously through the halls. I then hid it behind my computer, when I wasn't taking sips practically under the table in an effort to be discreet. Yesterday, K ate lunch huddled in a storage room adjacent to her classroom. Today, Aussie asked during the team meeting if we'd mind if she ate a banana (none of us are fasting). Food is not supposed to leave the cafeteria or the staff room. In fact, the binds have been drawn to hide any eating faculty members who might be glimpsed through a small window in the hall.

This is my first Ramadan. Before yesterday, I would take a few sips of water during class, carry around a diet Coke at the end of the day and think nothing of finishing my lunch in the hall. Now, in just 48 hours, I remember to take a plastic bag to the vending machine. Sixth graders have significantly altered their habits (is a holy month that only 25% observe the trick to curing 6th grade issues?) I actually asked a kid if it was OK to put on chapstick in public. What did I want her to do? Issue a fatwa on the spot? (A fatwa is any religious opinion or ruling on an Islamic point of law, and it's not always a death sentence, like the one issued on Salman Rushdie.)

What is it going to be like after 28 days of this?

1 comment:

Teni said...

Hi hi Ray....whoa....I think it's so kwl that you are experiencing ur 1st Ramadan in an Islamic state.
Can't wait to hear bout your 1st Iftar....hopefully it will be in Mosque :)
(P.S. my family is holding an Iftar is on Sept 20...you and K are invited)