Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's only a Muslim moon

Ramadan was supposed to end on October 1 this year. Then, sometime last week, the Islamic powers-that-be announced that it might end on September 30. Just yesterday, we discovered that, in fact, the last day of Ramadan would be September 29. Which means we've been granted two extra days of vacation with no natural disaster involved. This is what happens, I guess, when your holidays depend on the phases of the moon.

Eid al-Fitr marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan. Literally translated, it means celebration (eid) to break the fast (al-fitr). The day is calculated by the sighting of the new moon, which begins the 10th month of Shawwal. The date varies slightly from country to country. I spent a good deal of time on the Internet researching why the moon pops up one place a day or so ahead of another, and came up with nothing. It's a mystery. But what isn't a mystery is that most countries have moon-sighting committees that decree when they will (or won't) see the moon and end Ramadan. October 1 was the agreed-upon date until recently, when it moved up those two days. Gotta love that Muslim moon...

During Eid, people dress up in their nicest clothes, go to mosque for special Eid prayers, get together with family, eat a lot and give to charity. At school, we've been collecting rice and cooking oil for needy families in Abu Dhabi, for example. There is an official three-day holiday from work, though we are getting almost the whole week. Eid Eve is also a holiday, but people spend it getting ready since it is technically the last day of Ramadan.

This is actually not my first Eid, but it is the first time I've had more than 12 hours warning. I remember sitting in my little house in Cameroon waiting for Eid to come. Back in 1998, Ramadan was in March, and there weren't a lot of school holidays looming on the horizon. I lived the part of the country that was predominately Christian, so was surprised to learn we would have the day off. In fact, I didn't even know it was coming until a small group of students knocked on the door and wanted to listen to my radio to find out if they'd have to go to school the next day. We huddled over my small boom box together until the announcement came over the airwaves. The Muslims had seen the moon. It was like a snow day. We all cheered, slapped high fives and took the rest of the night off.

Now that I have six days starting Monday (and am over my regret at not planning a longer vacation--but how could I have known?), I'm going to sleep in a lot, be a tourist in Abu Dhabi and get out to see more of the country, including Dubai and the desert around the oasis of Al Ain. Pictures and details to follow...

Say, it's only a Muslim moon
Sailing over the Arabian Sea
But it wouldn't be Eid, baby
If you weren't here with me...

(inspired by the song "It's Only a Paper Moon" by Arlen et al)

3 comments:

Nate said...

Loving the poem...and grinning a secret grin...

Becca said...

Extra vacation is fun! I just had my 11 day weekend (or hurrication) as the kids are calling it! Enjoy your time off! I certainly enjoyed mine!

MB said...

It isn't just in the UAE that people were confused about Eid. I had some students who took Tuesday off for Eid and some who took Wednesday off, and some who took both. And combined with Rosh Hashanah being last Tuesday, we had very few students in school. So glad that you were able to clear up some of my confusions over the timing of Eid. One of my Muslim students had explained to me that he was going to be absent due to a little known Muslim holiday. Once I figured out he was talking about Eid I had to laugh...little known (huh.)