Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eid Mubarak!

Ramadan ended last night at sundown. I sort of expected a collective cheer or a particularly jubilant call to prayer, but the evening proceeded normally. This morning, I went to the gym (Yes! The gym!) and was amazed to find the little cafe open and a bunch of sheikh-garbed guys downing orange juices and coffees. In public.

It was weird to see people eating so blatantly. It's weird to know I can too, if I want. I've been in the UAE for about two months, and one of those months has been Ramadan. It's hard to remember what it was like before. Will kids start leaving their plastic water bottles in class again? Will the regular school day seem long? (We still get out at 3:20, so I doubt it. But after a month of 2:10 dismissal...) Will I think less about food or more? How long will it take to forget about the last month's restrictions? Everyone seemed to adapt so quickly back on September 1. Maybe reverting back to old habits will be just as seamless.

As I write, families are gathering throughout Abu Dhabi, exchanging gifts and feasting. K and I are thinking about grabbing some lunch. At lunchtime. What a concept. Tomorrow, I'm told, will be the equivalent of December 26, with malls open early and post-Eid sales. We don't go back to school until Sunday, so there are still a few days left to sight-see, kick back and, yes, eat in public.

Eid Mubarak!

No comments: