Saturday, October 11, 2008

Having a home decor

Packed away in my shipment (retrieved about a week ago at the port. See entry below), were some items that have helped me finish off my livingroom, so I am now officially decorated (for the most part. I mean, is anyone ever truly finished?) My godparents introduced me to the less-is-more school of home design this summer, and I'm a convert, as you will see.








It's a new thing for me to have a decor. I've enjoyed the process (primarily because the school gave us a settling-in allowance, so I didn't have to spend my own money. But also because it's been fun to mull over catalogs, talk about color schemes, surf websites to check out professional designers--and then go ahead and pick out furniture I really liked and marvel how it ended up coming together). I'm particularly thrilled (though can take no credit) that the poster from the Picasso exhibit here in Abu Dhabi this summer goes so well with the Cameroonian mask I bought on Thanksgiving Day 1996. Who can plan a thing like that? (Well, maybe some people can, but I can't. I bought the mask cause there is a grinning lizard on the forehead. I bought the poster with no thought of the mask. The home decor planets just aligned...)

That being said, I'm glad things are unpacked, hanging on the walls, and there is nothing major left to find. The only thing I'm truly considering is an accent wall. Any ideas for colors? What about which wall? Channel your interior interior designer and let me know...

K also got her couch (after months of waiting for the covers to arrive), which now looks stunning with her classy, non-Ikea dining table. Check it out!

No comments: