So after my laudatory post about how secure everything is in this country, my wallet got stolen yesterday. I'm 99.999% sure the Ikea deliverymen took it during the few minutes K and I were in her study extolling the virtues of her new furniture (and an amazing poster of NYC that covers most of one wall--pics soon!). But I didn't actually see them do it. I just know I had my wallet when they arrived, and didn't have it when they left.
After calling the store to let them know, calling the credit card company (ridiculously nice woman on the phone), calling my mom and my stepmom to enlist them in the cancellation party, stressing about losing both my UAE and my US drivers license and all the US dollars I had here (about $80), high-impact freaking out for about 3 minutes and slow-burn freaking out out for most of the evening, I'm now surprisingly calm. It's the mother of all pains, but it's OK. I still have my cell phone, liquor license (priorities, people!), checkbook, ATM card from my UAE bank and (please send vibes) a way to get a replacement UAE license without my US one.
K was a total brick. She's the one who called the store, talked to the actual deliverymen twice and let me use her land line to do some major long-distance dialing. Yay for allies and friends in foreign places!
I've had things taken out of my purse and various apartments and living spaces broken into. My Saturn was stolen twice. My Beetle's car windows were shot out. Each invasive, damaging incident has brought on a low mood and deep doubts about the basic goodness of humanity. This time, though, it didn't, despite the fact that I lost more materially than I have before (since my car was found both times). I braced for it this morning. I expected to wake up dragging. And it didn't happen. In fact, I would characterize my day today as above-average.
Maybe all the zen-master-of-letting-go practice is working. Maybe I no longer believe in the basic goodness of humanity anyway? What do you think? (And please send DMV vibes...)
8 years ago
2 comments:
I am sorry that your wallet got stolen. That is the mother of all pains. It is interesting that you did not wake up with the sinking feeling. I wonder about no longer having having faith in the world. R seems never to worry about anything. He thinks worry does nothing. I think is causes motion and action. With our current housing situation getting more and more worrisome, I wonder which method will work best. I want to believe that we are good people and will be OK, but by who's standards? Would we be better off if we were not always trying to do the right thing, and sometimes just tried to come out on top.
On the flip side, I should have had my wallet stolen multiple times- like the time I left my purse in a shopping trolley and drove all the way home before missing it (found by a nice lady) - or the time I left it on a park bench in S.F. (found by an equally nice lady.) - or the time a bus driver chased Mike and I out of the airport like a madman in order to tell us my purse was still on the top of the car… with EVERYTHING in it! So never give up hope on the goodness of most!:)
Post a Comment