It's been almost two years since I headed out into the Great Unknown of Arabia, anticipating a move to a place that seemed foreign and a bit forbidding. I wasn't sure about the locals, as interested as I was in getting to know them and perhaps smashing a few stereotypes along the way.
This week, I found myself right back where I started from, anticipating another move as a stranger in a strange land. I'm heading to a place where the locals are just as foreign, where the role of religion is just a wee bit menacing, and where the native dress is both fascinating and very odd.
This June I'm leaving the familiar mellow of Abu Dhabi. And moving to Texas.
It's true. This Californian-Persian Gulf transplant is putting down roots in the Lone Star State. Lest you think I've completely lost my mind, I'm going to Austin, which is weird, wonderfully progressive and full of likeminded teachers. But it's still Texas, as many a relative has helpfully pointed out. It's the state of W and high school cheerleading scandals, chainsaw massacres and cowboy boots, big chili cook-offs and big hair.
And then again, to veer away from the knee-jerk reaction, it is also the home of the country's first out lesbian mayor (Houston! True!), a world-famous music festival (Austin) and the Alamo. What more do you need?
I'm happy about teaching at a school from the same network as I taught before and even happier to be switching subjects. I'll be teaching 6th grade nonfiction studies, a fancy name for history with a focus on writing and researching (all topics close to my heart). I'm excited about the position, excited about the school (which is in its second year), excited about moving to a place where I can serve low-income students of color AND bask in the sunshine most of the year. As a former San Franciscan, I am continually awestruck by the size of an apartment I can get for under $1,000/month (and Austin is considered woefully pricey by Texas standards). I'm also excited to know a few folks in town, former colleagues who share my educational orbit.
Right now, from a safe distance of 8,000 miles, everything looks rosy. It will be very hard to leave Abu Dhabi when June rolls around, but I also know it's the right time. I'm ready to meet the natives...
8 years ago
3 comments:
Big and rich! Best of luck on the move to the Lone Star State. I always had fun visiting Texas, but of course it was always to visit very progressive Episcopalians! Texans provided a lot of leaven to Canterbury NU -- unembarrassed to go to church AND hip. The new school sounds fab. The travelogues of RR will not be as uber-fascinating in the environs of Austin ... but maybe I'm wrong about that! xxoo
TEXAS! I have to say if you said Dallas I would call your mom and have her look into possible drug use. Austin, you can do! I told Mr. J that Austin is the one city I'd consider there. It's fun and perhaps our clan will see you there if we visit the in-laws (they live in Manor). Be prepared for lots of red meat and corn. They believe corn is the only true vegetable in Texas (which technically, it's a grain).
I'm excited for you and hope you keep the blog up. Yee-haw!
Hey Roberson! Can't wait to have you back in the states! Sad to not see you in SF for good, but happy that you will be in a place with good friends and good food! Make the best of the time you have left in Arabia! Hope to see you soon!
P.S. Thanks again for the help with the school project! I'll let you know my grade when I get it!
Post a Comment