Friday, February 19, 2010

Addendum: books for the young reader

By popular demand (OK, my good friend Ange and my mom--but that's enough for this blog), I hereby submit my book list for the young reader. With two caveats.

Caveat #1: These are some of my favorite kids books. Some I loved as a kid. Some I've loved as an adult. Some I love as a teacher. Obviously, the ones I loved as a kid might not play as well today. I've included them nonetheless. You know me. You know your kids. You make the call.

Caveat #2: Once again, these do NOT in ANY WAY represent even the merest fraction of all the great books for kids out there (or even all the great books for kids I've read). These are a selection of particularly excellent and enduring works that have stayed with me through the years. If you'd like a recommendation targeted for your particular child (or for yourself), feel free to email!

Mid to upper elementary
  • The Endless Pavement--Jacqueline Jackson (grade 2-6)
My favorite childhood book of all time. It's out of print, but it might be at your library. It's...well, it's a post-apocalyptic, dystopian view of a mechanized Earth taken over by sentient cars. And what happens when a young girl finds the last apple tree. Yes, it's written for kids. Yes, I loved it so much I lied to my teacher so I could check it out of the library more than once. It's a picture book (really!), but the reading level is at least 2nd grade.
  • Sahara Special--Esme Raji Codell (reading/interest level: grade 3-6)
  • Because of Winn-Dixie-- Kate DiCamillo (grades 3-5)
  • Superfudge--Judy Blume (grades 3-6)
  • The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963--Christoper Paul Curtis (grades 4-8)
  • The Gammage Cup--Carol Kendall (grades 4-6)
  • My Father's Dragon and series--Ruth Stiles Gannett (grades 2-5)
  • The Shredderman series--Wendelin Van Draanen
A GREAT series for boys grades 3-6 (the reading level is on the easy side...the interest level would remain high throughout elementary school) Girls will love them, too. Would also make good read aloud for younger kids.
  • The Phantom Tollbooth--Norton Juster (grades 4-8)
For your budding grammar nerd
  • The Great Brain series--John D. Fitzgerald (grades 3-6)
One of my all-time favorite series growing up. I'm relieved (though surprised) that they haven't made a movie of at least one of these books. They are so good and so funny. Also would be good to read aloud to younger kids.
  • The Encyclopedia Brown series--Donald J. Sobol (grades 3-6)
  • A Wrinkle in Time--Madeleine L'Engle (grades 4-8)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase--Joan Aiken (grades 4-6)
  • Cheaper by the Dozen--Frank Gilbreth (grade 4-6) SOOO much better than the movie...
  • James and the Giant Peach, The Witches and Danny, Champion of World--Roald Dahl (or anything else by him, but I loved these the best) (grades 4-6)
  • Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of NIMH--Robert C. O'Brien (grades 4-6)
Middle school
  • The Hunger Games and Circle of Fire--Suzanne Collins
Two of the best middle school fiction books I've read in a LONG time. Very strong, independent girl protagonist, complex issues, empathetic/realistic take on oppressive violence. Very powerful and moving. As an adult, I could not put them down. I'd love to teach them. My students are just discovering them, but the reviews are good so far.
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson series)--Rick Riordan
  • The Golden Compass and His Dark Materials series--Philip Pullman
  • The Chronicles of Narnia--CS Lewis
  • The Princess Bride--William Goldman
  • The Giver--June Lowry
  • Ender's Game--Orson Scott Card
  • The White Mountains (and series)-John Christopher
  • The Dark is Rising (and series)--Susan Cooper
  • Hatchet--Gary Paulson
  • The View from Saturday--E. L. Konigsburg
  • Harry Potter series--JK Rowling (duh)
  • Summerland--Michael Chabon
  • The Hobbit--JRR Tolkein
  • To Kill A Mockingbird--Harper Lee
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Whitmom said...

What you neglect to mention is that The Endless Payment was your favorite book, WHEN YOU WERE FIVE! Now that should have been a tipoff, right there, that we had both a budding feminist and a serious bibliophile in our midst...

Unknown said...

Yay! Thank you. Such good recos. I also lied to a librarian as a young kid (to check out the Little House series, I told her my mom was reading them to me because she didn't believe I could read them myself!) BTW, I've been hunting for The Endless book since Christmas and can't find one! Shame...

Whitney said...

Angela, I was able to find a copy of The Endless Pavement through the Amazon used book feature. This was several years ago now. Maybe the few remaining copies throughout the US have been snatched up by now!

Unknown said...

This is great, because Simon is SCREAMING through all his middle school reading assignments, and I said. "You're going to have to get into some classic books, because there just aren't enough new young adult books left for you to read." Rick Riordan was devoured. He's not into something called "If you can read this it's too late." I did find him a series about the young James Bond, which mostly has held him until it got too English and fussy, but in the last book he read, young James, on break from Eton, spent his spring break volunteering at a settlement house in East London! Rule Britannia and the Internationale all in one.