As many of you know, I realized a lifelong dream this week and officially became a JV softball coach. In high school, some of my happiest moments were spent on the rough grassy diamond opposite the well-manicured varsity field. None of my closest friends played JV softball (though many great girls did). It wasn't even in the solar system of the cool sports, like soccer or lacrosse. But it was hugely fun and open to all. No one cared if you struck out or missed a pop fly. Our only batting sign involved the coach knocking his knees together and wildly shaking his arms. This signaled that we were not to swing at the next pitch because the girl on first was going to steal second. We had decent success at this, mostly because the other team was so flummoxed by our coach's behavior that they forgot to throw the ball. We never got tired of this sign, which (in addition to stunning the other team into submission) caused everyone in the dugout to collapse with laughter.Now, I'm the coach, full of enthusiasm, if lacking in wacky humor. Not only that, I currently have 27 girls on a roster who actually call me "coach." This is because most of them are in high school and don't know my name. But I'm digging it anyway. We had tryouts yesterday and Sunday. Unlike my halcyon high school days, JV softball at my current school is a bit more cut-throat. For one thing, there isn't a varsity, so JV is the only option available. I have to get my list of 27 down to 13, which is the maximum I can have on the official league roster. I'm already dreading injecting disappointment into such a mellow game. Shaping a well-honed team is completely appropriate in basketball or soccer. But slo-pitch, JV softball, a game in which a lot of hustle or an earnest swing can turn the weakest link into the biggest hero in the blink of an eye? Maybe I should just draw names from a hat?
The official team list will be up by next Tuesday, and practices will start for real. We will have all of three games during the regular season (which lasts until mid-April), all with the largest American school in Dubai. Not surprisingly, this region doesn't field many girls softball teams, so we take what we can get. The season will culminate, as athletic seasons at international schools typically do, with a four-day tournament with similar schools from the region (in this case, the Gulf and Egypt). The school from Qatar is apparently the team to beat, but I think we have a chance. Not that it matters...
Stay tuned for softball updates, and feel free to share your own softball memories here...
5 comments:
I hate the idea of kids wanting to play a sport and not being allowed, especially girls since there are not as many outside-school options. I think all schools should have a team and then all the kids that didn't make it should have the option to be on the PAP team ("Plays at Practice" team.) Then they’d have the joy of practicing and being part of the fun but wouldn't travel. Perhaps there would even be a free slot on the team for the best PAP player of the week. In Ireland, lots of clubs have A, B, and C teams (and sometimes even D teams if there is a demand.) The A's and B's are fairly competitive, but the C's/D’s are for fun and if you happen to get good, they can just bump you up to the B or even A team if you want.
I agree! I wish we could do the same--and I'm definitely going to hold open practices. I like "Plays at Practice" as a way of talking about it, too. Plus, it'd be nice if I could have an open roster, but I can't. The rules are strict here, for some reason. But you have the right idea, Pars!
Well, the roster team has to practice against somebody, right? So could that mean, possibly, 26 girls at practice (PAP team?) Plus a team manager to look after the equipment??
My position of choice was always second base and my most memorable moment at said base was a time when we were playing a pickup co-ed game at some church event. A big guy stepped up to the plate and smacked a line drive right toward me. Of course, I had no chance to catch it but I dutifully stuck my mitt in the air and dang if the thing didn't go right in it! I had the good sense to hold onto it and look cool, like I'd had every intention of snagging it ...!
I did the same thing in seminary, and it was my therapist's line drive that I caught (I think it's the only ball I caught in my whole life). Changed the dynamic next time I went for counseling ;)
I hate sports. I really hate organized sports. I really, really hate organized school sports. Why can't the younger sib have coaches like the older sibs?
Post a Comment