First, the inauguration. I watched, of course, with K and an estimated third of the globe. CBS was streaming live from about three hours before (which was about 6:30 p.m. in Abu Dhabi), so I saw a lot of Obama and Michelle getting in and out of limos, exiting churches, moving into holding rooms prior to the big event. Over and over, I heard comments about how friendly the Obamas and the
Bushes were and how there was a distinct lack of the drama that inevitably infects the transition process. And I believed the hype. I did! I, who have not believed one word out of our former president's mouth for eight years, believed that he genuinely likes Barack Obama and wishes him well. I was struck for the first time in my life by how truly precious a peaceful transition of power is. (I've lived through many, but this year's seems much more poignant. This has as much to do with the state of the world than with Obama himself.) In the world's only (for the moment) superpower, one man willingly hands the reins to someone he utterly disagrees with, gives him a big hug, climbs in a helicopter and flies into the sunset. That's cool, especially the hug part. As one of my students said, "When I saw the helicopter, I was so happy to see him leave!" But it's not just the leaving. It's leaving without pettiness, to say nothing of corruption or violence. It's knowing he didn't steal the Calvin Coolidge candlesticks (or whatever). It's knowing he gave up the codes even though he held the biggest guns there are.
Bushes were and how there was a distinct lack of the drama that inevitably infects the transition process. And I believed the hype. I did! I, who have not believed one word out of our former president's mouth for eight years, believed that he genuinely likes Barack Obama and wishes him well. I was struck for the first time in my life by how truly precious a peaceful transition of power is. (I've lived through many, but this year's seems much more poignant. This has as much to do with the state of the world than with Obama himself.) In the world's only (for the moment) superpower, one man willingly hands the reins to someone he utterly disagrees with, gives him a big hug, climbs in a helicopter and flies into the sunset. That's cool, especially the hug part. As one of my students said, "When I saw the helicopter, I was so happy to see him leave!" But it's not just the leaving. It's leaving without pettiness, to say nothing of corruption or violence. It's knowing he didn't steal the Calvin Coolidge candlesticks (or whatever). It's knowing he gave up the codes even though he held the biggest guns there are.Wasn't it cool to watch everything change, too? It was almost mystical (definitely liturgical)...the oath, the strike of the clock, the movers poised to haul the Obama's furniture in place (but not until high noon), the national hymns, the roll call of recent history. And am I crazy, or were both elder Bushes wearing matching royal purple?
The patricians in ancient Rome wore purple too (how's that for a smooth transition?) Leaders and thinkers through the centuries have drawn lessons from the republic, the empire builders, the wars, the circuses and the bitter end. Now I'm giving my 6th graders their first taste of this incredibly complex era. As I teach them the many ways power was wielded by the Romans (and what we can learn from it), I'm also conscious of my own power as a teacher. This is something I've always been aware of--not only this year but since the day I first stepped in front of a class. The questions I ask and what I choose to focus on (despite being guided by the textbook, especially this first year) do reflect my own lenses and biases. This is neither right nor wrong--it's inevitable. The only thing teachers can do is pay attention to where they're coming from and adjust whenever possible. Some educational theorists argue that teachers should strive to show no bias at all. Others see teaching as a way to advocate in opposition to the clear agenda that exists in the supposedly "unbiased" mainstream. The jury is still out as to which is better for kids. My view is that they're both right and both wrong. I have a responsibility to teach my students in a way that will serve them best. I determine what "best" means but so do forces beyond my control: curriculum standards, community norms, and what the kids themselves bring to the classroom. I respect these forces--they are as inevitable as my own biases. And so, I am utterly biased, but aware enough to adjust as much as possible. On top of that, I'm acted upon by a complex array of competing influences that cause me to readjust and find a new balancing point. It's as complicated as any profession out there, but what else is new in human systems? Teaching is the most fascianting job I've ever had for this reason. It is endlessly in motion.
The ancient Romans never stopped looking for ways induce wildly diverse peoples to work together productively. They ultimately failed, but they gave it a go for almost 1,000 years. I've only done it for seven. Clearly, I have a lot to learn, but I'm also not going to stop trying.
The ancient Romans never stopped looking for ways induce wildly diverse peoples to work together productively. They ultimately failed, but they gave it a go for almost 1,000 years. I've only done it for seven. Clearly, I have a lot to learn, but I'm also not going to stop trying.

1 comment:
"...to someone he utterly disagrees with"
If you're surprised then you're overestimating the level of disagreement. Politics naturally focuses on disagreement. You don't debate things on which you agree. They aren't issues.
But the format of our elections pretty much guarantees that the president never goes too far left or right of center. We don't have proportional representation or runoffs to encourage sharply different voices in the process. The Jesse Jacksons and Pat Robertsons are firmly muzzled after the primaries are over. If anyone is stupid enough to mount a credible third-party challenge from the left or right, they just sink their own side.
So even a candidate whose platform was a general call for change won't be changing all that much. Consider Reagan's inaugural "government isn't the solution... government IS the problem." And government spending continued to increase.
We'll still be a capitalist country. The government may help out or attempt to regulate industry, but it won't be nationalizing anything. The marginal tax rates won't change by more than a few percent (and maybe not even that for the time being).
We'll still be in Iraq long enough to leave a stable government behind. We'll still be at war with Islamic fundamentalism for the forseeable future.
Obama's transition has been pretty well run so far. His focus is on issues where he has broad consensus. He's built a staff of Clinton folks, and appears determined to apply the lessons that Clinton learned the hard way by changing too much in his first two years (kind of ironic really).
As for the lack of bitterness or pettiness, I think that's a function of the personalities involved and the circumstances. 8 years ago, the white house staff did a lot of incredibly immature stuff on the way out. They truly believed they got screwed in the election and were bitter about not having jobs in the next administration. And when you're not at war at the economy is okay, it's easier to justify indulging in juvenile behavior.
As for Bush "handing over the keys", he's got to be SOOO relieved right now. I've seen a lot of commands change, and rarely do you see a commander who isn't ready to go. Command is stressful. Obama just picked up the biggest one of all. For the next four/eight years, a guy will follow him around with a suitcase containing the codes to unleash our strategic arsenal. If the call comes to use it, Obama might get only a couple minutes to make up his mind. It could happen at any time--3AM even. And this officer is always there reminding Obama of that. It un-nerved Clinton to the extent that he ordered the guy to, as much as practical, stay as far away from him as the law allows.
So who wouldn't want to let that go? And who wouldn't truly wish his successor well? Like all of us, he wants to see the country safe (which to Bush's credit it has been for 7 years) and prosperous (maybe not so much lately). Bush broke some eggs diplomatically in order to do what he had to in Iraq. Having a new guy lets the nation consolidate its position abroad, but dump all the hurt feelings--all for the good.
I think dictators stick around forever not so much because they like the job, but because they are convinced nobody else can hold things together as well as they can. Kind of like the rooster convinces himself that the sun won't rise if he doesn't get up and crow at dawn. In some countries, they're probably right.
But we know better because we're blessed with a pretty good constitution--and pretty good traditions we inherited from England on which it was based. Ultimately we're ruled by laws and principles, not people.
Post a Comment