True, I've been here all of two days, but it's enough to have developed a deep admiration for the place. JL and I left Abu Dhabi on Wednesday morning and drove for the border just on the other side of Al Ain. (It was very hard to leave K and Teni behind, but Teni's UAE visa prevents her from leaving the country and re-entering on the same trip.) Truly, it was the strangest crossing of an international border I've ever experienced. We practically had to beg the UAE to issu
We drove through scrub desert, rock desert and soaring painted desert, along neatly paved roads with clear signage in both English and Arabic. In 1970 there was about 10 kms of paved road in the country. Now there are thousands of kilometers, most lined with street lights. In 1970, there were seven doctors. In the whole country. Now, there are hospitals and clinics (also clearly sign posted). In 1970, there were two primary schools. Now, there are universities, which admit women in numbers that any nation in the region should be emulating.
They call it the Omani renaissance--and when I say "they," I mean, the Omanis themselves call it the renaissance. They experience what has happened in their country in the lifetime of so many as a literal rebirth. And they give credit, with smiles on their faces and without a trace of cynicism or irony, to Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who took control from his father in a bloodless coup in 1970 and hasn't looked back. Without the flush of wealth or strategic importance that so benefitted his brother Arabians, he has marshalled his resources and enacted the vision that should be the first chapter in any book on development. I'm sure the man isn't perfect. But he's earned the deep respect of his people (and this visitor). Omani men at the livestock souq in Nizwa
Because what he did first, they say, was rebuild Oman's forts. When I post pictures, you will see a sample of
Now don't get me wrong...Oman is not a utopia (for one thing, it's hard to find anywhere to eat). And it's still a developing country, for the most part, unlike most others in the region. But it has managed to leap hurdle after hurdle on the road to the 21st century with its heart and soul intact, which I find utterly stunning in today's world of short-sighted decisions (mortgage crisis anyone?) and uber-capitalist priorities (umm...mortgage crisis anyone?)
I'll be writing more and posting pictures in the coming weeks. But feel free to Google Oman and/or Sultan Qaboos in the meantime and add to the conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment